In September 2006, staff from the Townsville Health Services District Health Promotion Unit and the Joyce Palmer Health Service began working together to develop, implement and evaluate a range of strategies to improve the nutritional health of the Palm Island community.
This work has included:
The collaborative, action learning approach has increased the capacity of the local workforce to identify and respond to the nutrition needs of the Palm Island community in a sustainable way.
- providing Palm Island based health workers with training in nutrition and health promotion
- developing and delivering workshops in nutrition to community groups
- working with the Palm Island retail store to increase access to healthy food and implement a “Green Label” program
- working with the local primary school to implement the Queensland Education “Smart Choices” policy and integrate learning about nutrition into a broad range of school-based activities
- developing and implementing a range of strategies to increase the demand for healthy food within the community.
back to the Conference Program